Pages

Sunday 23 December 2018

Week 1, Day 4: More Than Meets The Eye - SLJ

Activity 1: Scaling New Heights [4 points]
Aotearoa New Zealand is a country of mountains and valleys, dense forests, and sparkling
oceans. At the centre of the South Island sits the tallest mountain in the country,
Aoraki Mt Cook. It is the place where Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to reach the top
(summit) of Mt Everest, learned how to climb mountains. It was pretty difficult for him, at
first, but Sir Edmund Hillary did not give up and, in 1953, he achieved this dream of
climbing Mt Everest. His face can now be found on the New Zealand $5 note!
Let’s imagine that you met Sir Edmund Hillary in real life and were able to interview him.
On your blog, post five questions that you would like to ask Sir Edmund Hillary about his life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Activity 2: Pancakes and Maple Syrup? [4 points]
Aotearoa New Zealand is home to many spectacular sights and natural wonders. One of
these is the Punakaiki Rocks and Blowholes located on the West Coast of the South Island.
The Punakaiki rocks attract tourists from all over the world who are keen to see these
amazing rock formations. Many people think that they look like pancakes stacked on top
of one another. Pancakes are one of my favourite foods! They are delicious and pretty easy
to make.
For this activity you are asked to choose one of your favourite foods. On your blog, write the
name of your favourite food and then tell us how to make it. You may need to ask a family
member, friend or Google (!) for help, if you do not normally make this food for yourself.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Salt and Pepper [5 + 5 possible bonus points]
Deep in the heart of Bolivia (a country in South America) lies a natural wonder unlike
anything else. It is a massive area of salt, over 10 000 km2 large, that is referred to as the
Uyuni Salt Flats.
Tourists who visit the flats often stay in hotels made completely out of salt (salt hotels). This
is not the only unique hotel that you will find around the world. In fact, you can stay in
hotels made entirely of ice (ice hotels) or glass (glass hotel). Let’s imagine that you were
given enough money to build your very own hotel.
On your blog tell us where you would build your hotel and what you would use to build it. For an extra five points, use Google Drawings to design one room in your hotel. You can also use a paper and pencil to draw your room, take a picture of the drawing, and post it on your blog.


Task Description:
For this task I was told to create a built and useful hotel, ways of showing people to make a Butter Chicken on rice, and pretending that I was giving Sir Edmund Hilary an interview, only asking him 5 questions. This task was very fun and I really enjoyed doing it. I really hope I get to continue enjoying these posts and I get more of these sort of tasks. I really enjoy this years Summer blogging as its been amazing and incredible. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year:

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Hinerangi,
    Activity 1: Scaling New Heights - I really like your questions as I think they were really relevant in order for us to know a bit more about this inspiring man! I specially liked your first question because it is an open question where the answer could be many things and it can give a broad scoop into his mind and motivations to climb Mt. Everest. Ka Mau te Wehi!
    I found that we can get very inspired by our surroundings, for example, I lived in the South Island and there I discovery my passion for hiking. In there, I did quite few adventurous hikes that really challenged me but also brought me a lot of joy and a good sense of strength in my mind and body. What about you, have you tried anything adventurous in nature yet?
    Activity 2: Pancakes and Maple Syrup? Butter chicken on rice, yum!! Thanks for sharing a mouthwatering recipe! Do you help to cook at home? Who does most of the cooking in your household? In my place I do most of the cooking because I love to cook for my daughter, I like the smells of cooking and I love when we sit together and say a prayer and nurture our body with some wholesome and healthy food. I haven't made butter chicken yet, I may give it a go, I am thinking of use coconut milk instead of cream, do you think that would work? :0)

    Activity 3: Salt and Pepper - Wow, you hotel design is pretty ambitious! I think is ambitious because is in Dubai, because of the rich materials you are using and, because the rooms that can fit a family of 8 people, that is a big room right?! Have you been in Dubai? I have not but I would like to go, apparently it is a very luxurious place where everything is made by design. I have a friend who went there to work and she mentioned that the gardens are very impressive. Furthermore, thumbs up here for your Google drawing!
    Keep up the great work and be amazing!
    Kia Kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Hinerangi!
    What is your favorite pet? My favorite pet is a dog. Do you like commenting? Remember you can blog your comments to earn more points! You will earn 4 points for the commenting and blogging your comment.

    Keep it up!
    By Chavda

    ReplyDelete