Pages

Friday 28 December 2018

Week 2, Day 2: Fabulous Flora - SLJ

DAY 2: Fabulous Flora

Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale…[4 points]
There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke),
and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an
art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of
flax.
On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest
you? Why or why not?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My answer about flax weaving would be an incredible yes, as it's something I haven't tried
since year 3 or 4, the time I was weaving was an incredible experience as most of us has
never tried it before. Flax weaving was exactly what we did and was absolutely amazing. If
I had the chance to flax weave again, I totally would as its been a very long time and it´ll be
great to get back into it. Flax weaving is what lots of people do in their spare time and is
what most people buy when their in stores. Overall I really recommend everyone to try Flax
weaving, it will take some time to get use to but it's best if you try some simple weaving
and try learning it over and over again. I really hope you try it out sometime. Enjoy the other
activities/posts!      
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Mighty Mangroves [4 points]
Here in New Zealand we have a native tree called a Kiwi Mangrove. Kiwi Mangroves grow
in shallow water (harbours). The largest mangrove or manawa forests in New Zealand are
located in Northland and in Auckland. According to many environmental experts, they are
one of the toughest and strongest trees in the world because they can survive in really harsh
(difficult) conditions.
For this activity you are asked to think of someone who is very tough and strong. They can
be someone who you know personally or they can be a character that you have read about
in a book, seen in a movie, or on a television show.

On your blog, tell us about this person. Who are they? Why are they, in your opinion,
so strong and tough?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The person I´ve chosen is my Mum. I´ve decided to put her in my opinion because it was
part of the activity and she is very strong. I would describe her as one of the toughest and
politest women in my family. She is a very enjoyable person and is amazingly strong. It's
very cool how every time one of us ( myself, my siblings and other family members ) are in
trouble she always has our backs, especially my younger siblings.  .Overall she is an
amazing Mum, very strong/tough and is a fantastic cook. Now it's my turn, Who is the person
you are thinking of right now, who is absolutely strong/tough?

Activity 3: Stranger than Fiction [10 points + 5 possible points]
Here on earth there are more than 298 000 different kinds (species) of plants. Some of
these plants live on land and some live in the water. Follow this link to read about 10 of the
strangest plant species in the world. When you are finished, choose two of the plants
from the list.

On your blog, list three similarities and three differences between the two plants that
you chose. To earn five extra bonus points, post a picture of both plants on your
blog..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Here are the Image Attributions to the pictures just above this description. The first 2 Image Attributions represent the first 2 pictures at the top, and the final 2 represent the bottom photos which are the similarities. 








Task Description:

For this task I was to answer a question which the question was, would you like to try Flax Weaving?, the 2nd activity was about figuring out who the strongest/toughest person I know either on a programme, a movie or even someone I personally know, the final activity was to select 2 strange plants listed on this website. Feel free to check it out!. If want to find out more about what this task is about, just slide up and it´ll take you to my actual post! 
enjoy it, and happy new year!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora & Namaste Hinerangi,
    Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale - I agree with you as I also have tried flax weaving and I found it quite therapeutic! :o)) When I did it was for one of my best friend's wedding and we made flax flowers for the table arrangements and it was a really cool experience because we got together and just seat there laughing and weaving, making something beautiful using nature and our own hands. I am glad to know that your generation also appreciate it and I hope you guys can really keep this beautiful tradition alive for the next generations to come. Ka pai!

    Activity 2: Mighty Mangroves - Your mum would be very proud of you for writing that and I really hope that you did show her this post because is important sometimes to show our appreciation to our loved ones. In my case, as well it would be my mum as she has been through a lot in her life but she never lost her optimism and her resilience, she always say " where is a will is a way" . Go mums! ❣

    Activity 3: Stranger than Fiction - You did a great job for this post! Thumbs up for all the images attributions as well! Ka Mau te Wehi!
    I really like your poster, how you organised it, the images, the bullet points and, the colours, very creative! As food for thought, I want you to consider the size of your poster as I struggled to read the small print, make sure that for the next time you make it bigger or with the option to zoom in.

    Keep up with your amazing work!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia


    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Hinerangi!
    What is your favorite blogger commenting on? My favorite flowers are Yellow, White flowers and Rose's. What is your favorite one of those flowers on your DLO. Next time remember to attribute your images!

    Keep it up!
    By Chavda

    ReplyDelete