Pages

Sunday 24 December 2017

SLJ It's all in a days work:)

Activity 1: A House or a Home!

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?

_________________________________________________________________

Activity 2: The Rules of Engagement!

Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home. These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, I was lucky enough to go to university and to follow my dream of becoming a teacher!


When I grow up I really want to become a teacher as I got inspired by the most incredible teachers I have had so far at Pt England School. I would also like to become a teacher as I like to communicate with other kids & I would love to see myself improve by teaching younger ones what they need to learn. I really hope I get the chance to become a teacher & that people around the world who are wanting to become a teacher does. Good luck to me in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Hinerangi, thank you for completing these activities. I liked checking out the comparison you have made between the traditional wharepuni and your own home. I like how you've paid close attention to the building materials of each structure. I never thought about the fact that your own home might have stairs. There certainly weren't any stairs in the traditional wharepuni.

    A big difference I've noted is the lack of electricity and plumbing in the traditional wharepuni. It would mean that there of course wasn't any appliances and things like that.

    Do you think that you could live in the traditional wharepuni? It would be difficult after growing up in a modern home.

    It's great that you want to become a teacher when you are older. I was also inspired by my teachers to take it up as a profession. It's certainly very rewarding helping people learn.

    Yes, good luck to you in the future!

    What makes you want to teach? What age do you think you might like to teach one day?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete